A chipped tooth is one of the most common dental injuries we see. It can result from contact sports, wear over time, or biting down on hard foods. Unless the damage is minimal, there’s no permanent way to fix the chip without visiting a dentist. Thankfully there are a variety of ways we can fix a chipped tooth and get it looking back to normal again. If the chip is significant enough to put the pulp (the tissue inside of the tooth) at risk, we may need to perform a root canal and then place a crown or veneer over the tooth.
What to do After Chipping Tooth
- Rinse mouth with warm water
- Apply pressure to stop any bleeding
- Place a cold compress to reduce swelling
- If possible, wrap the piece of broken tooth in wet gauze to bring to the dentist
Solutions for a Chipped Tooth
- A root canal and crown/veneer placement
- Tooth extraction and implant placement
Dr. Carmichael Dentistry
If you’ve chipped a tooth, don’t panic. Please schedule an appointment with us, and we’ll fix the broken tooth as soon as possible. No matter how severe the damage is, we’ll be able to remedy the problem and protect the tooth. If you’d like to schedule your next dental appointment with Dr. Carmichael, give us a call at (858) 484-2560 or contact us on our website!